Sami Ferry Port
Sami ferry port is situated in a small village of about 1000 inhabitants, on the island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), in the Ionian Sea, on the western side of mainland Greece.
Car ferries to and from Italy, as well as local ferries to other Greek islands all, arrive and depart from here. From here you can get a direct international overnight crossing to Bari and Brindisi in Italy, a short fast ferry crossing to Patras, Astakos, and Ithaca, from where you can get other ferries further aroudn Greece and across the Mediterranean. The alternative international ferry ports are in Corfu, Igoumenitsa, Patras, and Zakynthos.
Photo: The flag of Greece waving a ferry moored in the Sami Ferry Port on the island of Kefalonia, Greece.
Ferry Crossings to and from Sami
Here is a table with details of all ferry crossings to and from Sami. You can sail from here to Bari, and Brindisi in Italy, and to Ithaka and Patras.
|Ferry Crossings||Country||Ferry Company||Frequency per week||Crossing Duration||Booking|
|Sami to Bari||Italy||Ventouris Ferries||1||19 hours||get price|
|Sami to Brindisi||Italy||Red Star Ferries||1||16 hours||get price|
|Sami to Ithaka||Greece||Levante Ferries||daily||20 minutes||get price|
|Sami to Patras||Greece||Levante Ferries||daily||3 hours||get price|
Getting To Sami Ferry port
Getting to the Sami ferry port and passenger terminal is fairly straightforward – the passenger terminal is situated in the centre of the town, very close to the bus station and not too far from the local Kefalonia Airport.
How to get from Kefalonia Airport to Sami ferry terminal (and back)
Kefalonia Airport (EFL) is about 36 km away from the ferry terminal. Regular bus service connects two places via Argostoli, where you change and take another bus to Sami. It usually takes about 45 minutes to reach your destination. Check the latest bus schedules here: ktelkefalonias.gr
To reach the ferry terminal by car or taxi will take about 30 minutes. Taxi can be picked up in front of the passenger terminal at the airport and in the ferry port. It will charge you about 50 Euro one way.
More details about the airport are here: efl-airport.gr
Getting from the bus station to ferry terminal
The bus station is just a few minutes walk from the ferry passenger terminal so you will get there in just a few steps (see below map)
From here you can get a bus to/ (or from) Patras and Athens via Lixouri and Argostoli, another two towns and small ports on the island of Kefalonia. All bus schedules are on the above bus link.
Luggage Storage in Sami Ferry Port
Several rental agencies offer luggage storage services. They are all situated along the waterfront, very close to the passenger terminal. Some tavernas and cafes also offer the service. Just ask.
Check-in, ticket office, ferry boarding
- get to the ferry port at least 2 hrs prior to your departure
- get your boarding pass in the ferry check-in office
- you will pass the immigration procedure just before the boarding
- for an orientation around the area, follow the well-placed and clear signs
Parking in Sami ferry port
Parking near the port is easy if you are just dropping or picking up someone. For a longer stay, you can either use off-street parking or long stay parking in the designated long-stay parking lot that is close to the center of the town.
Port Map – Sami Ferry Terminal
- address: Port of Sami, Kefallonia Paxoi, Sami 280 80, Greece
- GPS Location: 38.254180, 20.648430 (38°15’15.1″N 20°38’54.4″E)
- Check location in the large map
Hotels near Sami ferry port – Where to stay
The nearest and most convenient places to stay with easy access to the port are here.
What to do while waiting for the ferry
Sami is a lovely little town and harbor with a beautiful waterfront promenade, many souvenir shops, numerous cafes, tavernas, and restaurants. You will be spoiled with a choice.
- walk along the waterfront and get a coffee or meal in one of the cafes
- watch the world go by in harbor with numerous sailing boats mooring
- If you have more time, visit one of the well-known landmarks: the Melissani Lake Cave, the archeological site of Sami, Agioi Fanentes, the ruins of the small church and monastery just a few kilometers out of town.
- If you have even more time, don’t miss Antisamos Beach (featured in the film ‘Captain Corelli’s Mandolin’ ) the lovely beach about 4.5 km away from the ferry port (see video). Taxi there will cost you about 20 Euros.
A short video clip of the port and ferry terminal was taken from the ferry that arrives with the town in the background.
- more ferry travel tips
- Large map of all Greece – Italy – Greece ferry crossing routes is here