Situated in two different locations, Zadar ferry port has two terminals – The car ferry terminal in Gaženica (outskirts of the city) and the passenger catamaran terminal in Zadar Poluotok, in the city centre. Car ferries to and from Ancona, Italy arrive and depart from Gazenica spot as well as numerous local car ferries to nearby islands. Passenger catamaran ferries to local islands and to Pula all arrive and depart from the Zadar Poluotok spot. Zadar is one of the busiest ferry ports in Croatia.
The only direct international overnight crossing from Zadar is to Ancona in Italy. From here, you can cross to Italy and get some other ferries to travel further to Greece or Albania. The alternative port and nearest international ferry crossing port is Split or further south in Stari Grad (Hvar) or Dubrovnik.
Ferry Crossings to and from Zadar
Here is an overview of popular ferry crossings to and from Zadar. You can sail from here to numerous local islands, Pula and Rijeka and to Ancona in Italy:
|Ferry Crossings||Country||Frequency per week||Crossing Duration|
|To local islands (map)*||Croatia||at least once a day||15 min to 2.5 hrs|
|Zadar to Ancona||Italy||once a week**||9 hrs|
|Venice to Zadar||Italy||once a week**||20 hrs|
|to Rijeka||Croatia||weekly||4 hrs|
|Zadar to Hvar||Croatia||daily||3.5 hrs|
|Zadar to Dubrovnik||Croatia||daily||8 hrs|
|Zadar to Pula||Croatia||5 times per week||4.5 hrs|
|Pula to Zadar||Croatia||2 – 5 times/week||4.5 hrs|
Getting To Zadar (Gazenica) Car Ferry Port & Catamaran Port
The most convenient way to reach the port is by local bus, taxi or Uber. If you are driving, and need to leave a car here, see the info about parking further down the article.
Gaženica (Gaženice) car ferry port location
The ferry port is situated on the outskirts of the town, about 3.5 km away from the city centre. The most convenient way to reach the port is by local bus or taxi. If you are driving, and need to leave a car here, see the info about parking further down the article. GPS coordinates: 44.09347, 15.25977
Catamaran ferry port location
The catamaran port is situated in the centre of the town. The most convenient way to reach the port is by local bus or taxi. If you are driving, and need to leave a car here, see the info about parking further down the article. Address: Liburnska Obala, 23000, Zadar, Croatia; GPS coordinates: 44.11747, 15.22608
Distance from Zadar ferry port to
|Town Centre||Main Bus Terminal||Catamaran Port||Car Ferry Port||Zadar Airport||Split|
|Car Ferry Port distance (km) to:||4 km||3.5 km||4.5 km||9 km||150 km|
|Catamaran port distance (km) to:||0.5 km||1 km||4.5 km||12 km||155 km|
The main bus terminal is situated right between this ferry terminal and the city centre, so from there you can easily get to both ports. If you are getting to Split, check the detailed info here. Here is the orientation info:
How to get from Zadar airport to Ferry Port
To the Gazenica ferry port
There is a regular bus shuttle between the main bus terminal and the Zadar airport which is about 9 kilometres away from here. The cheapest price for a one-way ticket is 1.5 euros. The alternative is to take a taxi or Uber which will cost you about 10 Euro one way to/from the ferry port.
To catamaran ferry port
A bus shuttle takes you to the main bus terminal and from there, walk, take a taxi or local bus. The total distance is about 12 km. The cheapest price for a one-way ticket is 2.5 euros. The alternative is to take a taxi or Uber which will cost you about 12 Euro one way.
From the city centre/catamaran port to Gazenica terminal
From the city centre or catamaran port (Poluotok) Uber cost 6 Euro. Bus line no 9 connects the main bus station and Gazenica. Bus line 2 & 4 takes you to/from the city centre & catamaran port.
- Car ferry port Gazenica: The small Jadrolinija office is in the port’s main building. You can’t miss it. All ferry crossings for which tickets are on sale are clearly displayed above the counter. If you are buying last-minute tickets for any crossings, try to be here as soon as you can. If you leave it late, there may be a very long waiting queue, especially in the summer.
- Catamaran port Poluotok: Ticket offices and kiosks are lined along the road there, right in front of catamarans.
- Car ferry port Gazenica: There are currently no dedicated left luggage facilities. However, you may ask in the local cafe, they may look after your bags for a while.
- Catamaran Port Poluotok: The nearest left luggage office is about 15 15-minute walk from the catamaran terminal. Here is its location.
- Car ferry port Gazenica: There are plenty of parking places in the port. If you are not taking your car on the ferry, you can leave your car here for a long stay (parking charges apply)
- Catamaran Port Poluotok: If you are picking up or dropping off at the ferry terminal then there are parking bays directly outside the terminal for this purpose. If you are not taking your car on the ferry, then there are long-stay car parks in several places in the town (map).
Car ferry port Gazenica & Catamaran Port Poluotok: Free Wi-Fi is available in local cafes, bars, and restaurants as well as inside the terminal and on some of the ferries. You can use the Wi-Fi service to go online for free anywhere in the vicinity. The WIFI network covers a large surrounding area around the port.
Here is a Zadar ferry map where you can see a detailed location of the car and catamaran port and the location of the main bus terminal. The ferry port consists of several docks so make sure you check where exactly your ferry is docked.
Zadar Port Authority has created a virtual tour of the Gaženica ferry port. It shows several locations in the area of the passenger port and transitions from the virtual walk through the port of Gaženica to the Zadar passenger catamaran port (Poluotok). It also includes an interactive map of the port. Here is a link.